1. Don’t dwell on the what if’s: As a human, it’s normal to think what if this or what if that but the second we began to dwell on things it only makes us feel more uneasy more anxious. Instead of dwelling on what if try to concentrate on the what next.
2. Try to talk about it: I say try because I know that during rough patches talking about the situation may not be ideal. But how will you find common ground if you don’t communicate? Talking about what is going on, figuring things out together can be a huge step in the right direction.
3. Consider marriage counseling: Many people don’t feel comfortable talking to a stranger about what is going wrong in their marriage. However, a counselor can be very helpful and save your marriage. Think of them as your friend to make things easier. Also, many people think marriage counseling is too expensive but check online near you. There are many affordable options and some healthcare providers even provide it for free or at a lost cost.
4. Put yourself in yourself S.O’s shoes: Think of how your significant other feels. Try to imagine yourself in his/her place. Durning rough patches are emotions can be all over the place. But it can help if you try to see things from their point of view. The perspective could change things for the better.
5. Take some time to reflect: Often times in marriage when things get hard we shut down. We are sad, mad, confused. One of the best things you can do is to take some time to yourself to reflect. Take a walk to the park, go sit at the library, find a quiet spot at home. Take a moment to realize where you went wrong, how this started, what you can do to fix it. More importantly, take a moment to breathe and ask yourself “am I okay?“. You can’t begin to fix things between you and your significant other if ultimately you’re not okay.
So, friends, whatever kind of rough patch is going on in your marriage, just know that many others experience rough patches too and you are not alone. I hope these tips help and I hope that you can both get past the bad and get back to the good. If you have any helpful tips or questions please leave them below. Best of luck and thank you for reading.